Traveling with twins is a challenge but it doesn’t have to be impossible. A successful trip with your twins begins with good planning. It will be more fun for mom and dad as long as a lot of thought goes into preparing for your trip.
What to Pack When Traveling with Twins
The best thing to do is make a list of all items you wish to bring along, including any snacks, toys, clothing, diapers and toiletries. Your packing list will vary based on your twins’ age but every twin (regardless of age) will need provisions for food, water, potty, clothing, and entertainment.
When traveling with twins, you will need to be sure you have such items as:
- Formula, bottles, nipples, and bottle warmer, jars of food as well as diapers, rash ointments and baby wipes for infant twins.
- Baby or child toiletries such as shampoos, baby wash, cloths, etc.
- Pack other food snacks such as carrot sticks, teething biscuits or cookies, raisins, breadsticks, fruit bars, juice boxes, finger sandwiches and rice cakes.
- Remember special things like pacifiers, food dishes, food utensils and wipes or damp cloth in a plastic bag for sticky fingers and faces.
- An outfit for each day away, along with a couple of extras for those unavoidable accidents.
- An extra shirt for each parent, easily accessible during travel in the case of spit ups.
- Toys, some old and some new for a wide variety to avoid boredom and be captivated by the “new” factor
- Double Umbrella stroller – easier to travel with unless your twins are too young to sit in them.
- A camera and/or video camera and extra film or memory cards
- Tylenol, Benadryl or any other medication your twins may need on, during or after the travel.
Traveling with Twins by Plane
Air travel is difficult and costly because of recent charges on luggage and seats. If your twins are under age 2, they can ride on your lap for free. However, if they are in their own seat, it is nice to have them buckled into their car seats so they don’t run all over the plane.
When traveling by plane with twins, you will want to pack lightly and focus primarily on your children’s needs. Sorry, you probably won’t be able to relax much on the plane! Make a list of all necessities and stick to your list. Just the necessities alone for yourselves and the twins will be enough luggage to haul on a plane.
Traveling with Twins by Car
Car travel and surviving a road trip with twins can be a little easier because you are not limited as to what you can bring (like on the plane). You will want to bring everything listed above but may prefer a more bulky twin stroller rather than the double umbrella stroller. It may be necessary to carry high chairs or twin booster seats if space allows and you know that none will be available at your destination.
Someone may need to sit with the twins in the back seat to keep them entertained. A portable DVD player and some of their favorite shows on DVD can help to keep them occupied for long distances. Also remember car games for their age group. Frequent stops may be needed when traveling by car. Your twins (like most kids) will always need to go potty after your last stop.
When traveling with twins, make lists to prepare, be flexible, and have a great time!